Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Parenting: Not for the Faint of Heart

You all KNOW that October 8th was a pretty BIG day (specifically midnight), right?I really don't have to explain.

But just in case............
I'll share the following.

Text convo with a 17 year old boy on October 7th.

Him: "I have an appointment tonight."

Me: thinking........with who? Teachers and coaches don't meet at night. What time? With who? It's Monday night. Church leaders don't meet with people on Monday night.

What I texted: "With who? I don't understand."

Wow!  I'm a mom!  Did I just ADMIT that I don't know something?
Why do I feel like I am walking into a trap?
Him: "COD3"

Duh! Of course!
COD3= MW3 = Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3.
And if it goes on sale at midnight, what time should you buy it?
Seriously? Do you even have to think about it?
MIDNIGHT!

First, you pay $5 three months in advance to "Reserve" your copy.
Then, you go to the store at 6 pm during the day before the midnight release and PRE-PAY.
Finally, you go back at 9:30 when it's 34 degrees and snowing and you sit OUTSIDE the store with 299 other idiots of your friends until the clock strikes 12.

And then, once you get your hot little hands on the game, do you come home and go to bed because it is a school night and you have to get up at 5:15?

Another STUPID question.
NO!

You MUST open it and start killing people immediately.

Because Parker is soooo responsible, he limited his play to an hour: 12:19 to 1:19 am and he still got up at 5:15 and went to seminary and then a full day of school and then lacrosse weight lifting and then long boarding.

All I can say is that I am thankful that THIS YEAR, he has his license because the last time Call of Duty came out, he didn't.
So *I* was the fool making three trips with him to the video game store.
I am so glad that I am no longer the "fool." ;)

Gina

8 comments:

Andrea said...

Ah yes! I was naively stunned when Mr. 14 asked if he could go at midnight. I think his enthusiasm did wane a bit when he realized it wouldn't be a drop off (well, it wouldn't happen at all, but if it did, was he interested in hanging with his mom?)

Donna said...

These are the things I get to look forward to once my boys are teenagers. Good times! And you're right, at least he has his license now and was able to drive himself to get it!

Juli said...

Yip. Not looking forward to those days. My sons ask why they can't play the gun games now. I simply tell them they have their whole lives to pretend to save the universe.

:)

Mama Badger said...

Is it too much to hope that the boys don't get into video games (asks the woman who's husband was quoted Sunday saying, "It was a rough day with the boys. They're in bed now. I'm going to the basement to kill things."

Mimi said...

And that's why YOU are mom of the year. I am grateful that my oldest could long-board herself down to Walmart fairly near to campus at midnight and grab one. I am not quite sure how she paid for it....and am more grateful that one showed up for the other half of the family here via amazon.

Nicole said...

I unfortunately knew exactly what you were getting at!

Lewis Family said...

I was with Eli in line at midnight. We got there about 10 mins early though, no way am I waiting any longer than that!
Now that he's 16 though my midnight release days are almost over too!
~Emily

AguiLeon said...

nice post my friend. +follow


2Peeeps Health and Fitness