When you have teenagers, soup IS NOT a meal.
This one is hearty enough to fill everyone up.
ITALIAN SAUSAGE TORTELLINI SOUP
1 lb Mild Italian sausage, casings removed
1 Onion, chopped
2 cloves Garlic, minced
6 Cups Beef Broth
1/2 Cup Water
1/2 Cup Red Wine
1 14 1/2 oz Can of Diced Tomatoes
1 Cup Carrots, thinly sliced
1 C Celery, sliced
1/2 Tablespoon Basil
1/2 teaspoon dried Oregano
1 8 ounce Can Tomatoo Sauce
1 1/2 Cups Zucchini, sliced
1 1/2 Cups Yellow Squash, sliced
8 ounces Cheese Tortellini
1 Tablespoon Parsely, Chopped
1 Cup Fresh Spinach
grated Parmesan cheese for topping
1.Cook the sausage in a frying pan over medium high heat for 10 minutes, or until well browned. Remove the sausage and put in the crock pot. Drain the fat except for about 1 tablespoon.
2. Add the onions and garlic to the fat and saute for 5 about minutes.
3. Transfer the onions and garlic to the crock pot.
4. Add the beef stock, water, wine, tomatoes, carrots, celery, basil, oregano, tomato sauce zucchini, and yellow squash. Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
5. Cook the tortellini according to directions on the package and set aside.
6. When ready to serve, increase heat to High setting, add the cooked tortellini, parsley, an spinach to the soup and cook for 10 minutes until heated through.
7. Pour into individual bowls and garnish with the cheese.
Serve with a nice salad and some warm, crusty French Bread.
Great for a cold winter day!