Saturday, November 6, 2010

Dear Katie

Dear Katie -

I do not know you.
But you know me.
You commented on my blog the other day..........for the first time in 2 years.
I know.  There are others out there who read everyday and don't comment.
But, I'm glad you commented.


And your short comment made me cry.
You said that you are leaving on a mission next Wednesday.
Missions are close to my heart and bring tender feelings to the surface.
So I wanted to write you.
I wanted to tell you some things.


Katie, you are doing the right thing!
You will be the best missionary!
How do I know?
Because you get to choose what you want to do in your life.
You could have chosen so many other things -
like finish college,
date,
meet the man of your dreams,
get married,
 get a "real" job and start a "real" life.
But you didn't.
You chose to put all of that "on hold" and go on a mission!
That says a lot about you.


You are willing to sacrifice your time and your own money to go talk to strangers (some of whom won't be very nice.)
You are willing to sacrifice your own comfort (the days will be long, the weather won't always be comfortable, you will live with people you don't know and sometimes don't like that much.)
You are willing to work hard (because missionary work is WORK and the hours are long.)
You are willing do this because you love the Lord, want to share the happiness the Gospel brings, and you have your own testimony to share.


I admire you.
I applaud you.
I know that your mission will bring you increased knowledge and testimony, growth, happiness and an experience that cannot be replicated by any other.


You have faith that all of the things you put on hold will be accomplished when you get back.  And they will!
Your life will be forever changed (for the better) because of your sacrifice, service and faith.


So Katie, even though I don't know you, I wish you the very best.
And believe it or not, I will think about you and hope that you are well!


Love,
Gina

1 comment:

Joy For Your Journey said...

Good advice! Having served a mission myself I know that it is worth every minute of it. I wasn't too exciting about going on a mission when I was 21, but I knew it was the right thing for me to do. Had I even the slightest idea of how it would bless my life though, I would have jumped at the chance. That is one decision I will always be grateful for.