Wednesday, October 13, 2010

GRILLED PIZZA

Here's a quick and easy dinner for you!
RUSTIC GRILLED PIZZA
We had a lot of fun with it!

You take pizza dough - what do you mean you don't just have some dough?  I bet you want a recipe?
Don't tell anyone but I buy my dough in a frozen dough ball in the bakery section of Sunflower Market.
But homemade pizza dough is easy to make. 
Really.
Fine.  I'll give you the recipe later.
Anyway-
take the pizza dough and divide it into individual portions.
With your hands, form the dough into a round or square or unidentified crust shape -as seen above.
Do NOT manhandle or roll the dough.
The less touching the better.
But stretch it as thin as you can.

I hope your grill is preheated.
I forgot to tell you that part.

Spread some olive oil on one side of your pizza crust - about 1 Tablespoon
Go ahead.  Spread it with your fingers.

Place the dough -oiled side down on a GREASED grill.
Cook until crispy on the bottom - a few minutes.
While it's cooking, spread another tablespoon of oil on the top.

Flip the crust over and grill the other side for a few minutes.

Remove the crust from the grill and top with your favorite toppings.
We used
sauce
grated cheese
sauteed onions
sauteed mushrooms
pepperoni
sliced banana peppers
artichoke hearts
fresh basil

To each, his own!
Place the pizzas back on the grill and cook until the cheese melts.

Everyone gets their own pizza and there is no whining!
Fun for an afterschool snack, fun for a teenage party, just plain fun!
Buon Appetito!


What are you doing still hanging out around here?
Go make your pizza!


Ohhhh.......you want a dough recipe.
Oh alright!

1 t sugar
1 pckg. dry yeast
2 t olive oil for bowl and brushing
coarse salt & ground pepper
2 1/2 C bread flour plus more for work surface

Pour 1 C warm water in a medium bowl.
Add sugar.
Sprinkle with yeast.
Let sit 5 minutes.
Whisk oil and 1 t salt into yeast mixture.
Add flour and stir with a wooden spoon until water is incorporated.
The dough will seem dry.
Turn ot onto floured work surface.
Knead until the dough comes together in an elastic ball - about 2 minutes.
Transfer to a lightly oiled bowl.
Brush with oil.
Cover bowl with plastic wrap.
Put in a warm draft free spot and let rise until double - about 45 minutes.
Punch down, cover and let rise another 30 minutes.
Divide into 4 pieces - makes 4-10 inch pizzas.
You can refirigerate dough for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month.

Get creative - you can add herbs, garlic or a bit of Italian herbs to the crust before kneading.

6 comments:

valerie said...

That's how I make homemade pizza too. Already made dough! I've never tried the grilled pizza before but it sure looks delish!

Juli said...

LOVE pizza on the grill. I've been having a hard time finding Gluten Free dough that will hold up though. Maybe I'll try and adapt your recipe. Thanks! I think I know what we're having for dinner. -J

Unknown said...

Can you please come over and make me that? Sounds and looks delish.

Thanks,
Starving in Kentucky

Allison said...

I've always wanted to try making grilled pizza but I didn't know it was so easy!! Yours look so yummy!

Joy For Your Journey said...

We all love pizza and I especially love quick and easy dishes! We will have to try this out.

And I love your blog background. Very cute. Also, your son at BYU-I--did he find that spider there??!

Unknown said...

Here is another frozen dough ball secret. Those Texas size Rhodes rolls are just about the right size for an individual pizza. That's what I heard anyway. I always make my dough from scratch, of course. ;)