Saturday, January 29, 2011

52 Weeks of Crock-Potting Craziness

I LOVE my crockpot.  I love it so much, I've worn several out.


The best thing about using the crockpot is that you do all the work in the morning, when you are awake and feel like working.
An then at the end of the day, when you are tired and worn out, you are rewarded with a delicious meal!


This year, we have church from 1 to 4 pm.
Everyone (okay, the three of us) come stumbling in the door at 4:30ish completely famished.
We want food NOW.......not an hour from now.
And we certainly don't want to have to work for it!


So every Sunday, I fire up the crock pot for some hearty goodness!
Just the smell, when we come in, is enough to satisfy us until we can get the salad, rice or whatever the side dishes are, made.


Last Sunday,
we had Crockpot Italian Beef Sandwiches!  Mmm.......mmmmm!


CROCKPOT ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICHES
3-4 lb Beef Chuck Roast
8 oz of Roasted Red Pepper with juice
8 oz of Sliced Pepperoncini Peppers with juice
1 Onion - thinly sliced
2 Tablespoons Italian Seasonings
2 Cans Beef Broth
Salt  & Pepper
Olive Oil


1 Baguette or other Crusty Bread
Sliced Provolone Cheese


Sprinkle a generous amount of salt and pepper on the beef.  Heat up a skillet over medium heat.  Add a couple tablespoons of oil.  Brown the beef in the pan on both sides.  Set beef in crockpot,  Add the sliced onions to the skillet and saute for about 5 minutes until golden and softened.  While they are cooking, layer the red peppers and pepperoncini on the beef.  Add the onions.  Sprinkle the Italian seasonings on top.  Pour the beef broth over everything.


Cook on warm for 8 hours.

Sorry!  We were too hungry to take the "after" picture of the meat - as in AFTER it was cooked but BEFORE we ate it.
Too delicious!

11 comments:

Coby said...

That looks so good! I love my crock pot too! I just discovered a blog called Crock Pot 365 (maybe you've already heard about it) - the lady set out to use her crock pot every day for a year, and her blog and her two cookbooks are the result of it.

I'm going to have to try your recipe!

Thanks for stopping by!

Paula said...

I'm trying to get better at the crock pot for the same reasons you love it. . . I don't mind spending time in the kitchen in the morning, but I hate dragging myself out there in the late afternoon. . . dumb question: Is Pepperoncini the same as pepperoni? If it's not, I apologize - NH isn't exactly known for ethnic food!

Also - Coby - please post the link for this blog! Thanks.

Lifeisapitch said...

your post sounds exactly as something I could have written because I crockpot almost every sunday because we come home so hungry from 1-4 church and the food is already there, ready to eat. The crockpot is going to be handy this upcoming few months with soccer practice and scouts taking up five evenings of my week! I almost BROKE my crock pot last Sunday. I picked it up while it was hot and threw it instantly to the ground!

Margaret aka: Fact Woman said...

YUM- Thanks for posting this recipe.

Juli said...

Yummy. I was going to make pulled pork sandwiches in the crock pot this week, but this may be good for next week. :)

Seriously. The crock pot is the greatest invention since... well, since everything.

Brandi. said...

Thank yo for stopping by my blog on Friday! And thanks for the recipe, it looks so yummy! I just bought myself a new crock pot {our old one broke close to a year ago, and we finally just replaced it!}, and it has been used so much! I love it!

Laura said...

Yum! That looks so good! Please post more crock pot recipes. I love it!

See you in a few months!!! *wink*

Raven said...

I have a crockpot that I've never used (that might have to go on my Friday Confessional this week). I keep meaning to get a crockpot cookbook, but never seem to. It's still on my list though.

Unknown said...

I know how very important the crock pot is on the 1-4 church schedule!

H.K. said...

I'm going to try out that recipe, I love my crockpot too! Another thing I do is have my breadmaker working while we're at church, the house smells like bread and everyone eats the warm bread while I make the last minute touches to dinner.

Stef said...

Oh that looks so good. You should do that every Sunday...share your recipe that is.