Wednesday, January 5, 2011

THIS DAY IN HISTORY

January 5th.
On January 5, 1980, Brian and I went out on our FIRST date.
Well, it wasn't exactly a date.  It was more of a "meet there."
I'm sly that way.

Brian and I met when we were 14.
We met on a church youth trip.
He lived on one side of town and I lived 20 miles away on the other side of town.
I thought he was cute.
He thought I was cute.
But that was about it.

Over the next couple of years,
we saw each other once every month or so at church dances.
We would always dance one or two songs.
But that was about it.

I couldn't date until I was 16.
I turned 16 on December 29, 1979.....just two days shy of the BIG New Year's Eve Dance.
That was my night!
I was leaving there with a date!


I woke up sick on December 31st.
But there was no way I was missing that dance!!!!
Brian and I danced a couple songs more than our usual 1-2 dances.
AND, we danced the LAST DANCE!
Everyone knows you save "Nights in White Satin" or "Stairway to Heaven" for someone special.
When the song was over, we parted ways.
But then.........I couldn't let the opportunity escape........I turned back and called out, "Call me sometime."

I waited THREE WHOLE DAYS for him to call. 
When he hadn't called, I decided to take matters into my own hands.
I called him (HORRORS!)
What a hussy!
That just wasn't done in 1980!

I was sly though.
I had done my research.
His high school was playing my high school in ice hockey on Friday.
As a pom, I "had" to be there.
Not really.  Since when do Poms do routines at ice hockey games?
But it sounded good.

I called Brian and asked him if he wanted to meet me at the hockey game.
He said, "YES!"

Not wanting to take any chances,
I arranged for a friend - a boy with whom I was friends- to drive me to the game.
1) In case Brian didn't show up.  I didn't want to sit there in the stands alone - like a fool.
And 2) In case Brian offered me a ride home.

My sly little plan worked out.
Brian showed up.
I ditched my friend and sat with him.
He offered me a ride home.
We went out for pizza.
We took a walk in the sub-zero pitch black down by the lake.
We kissed (Hussy!)
and we've been dating ever since!

Happy Anniversary Brian!

8 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

That is such a cute story... makes me flash back to my teenage years... Oh, when the butterflies of planning schemes was so exciting!!!

That's a pretty awesome picture!!! :)

valerie said...

Awww how sweet! Happy Anniversary!

Javan said...

How can you be a hussy when you two were MFEO? This picture always startles me; I never thought that Garrett looks a lot like either one of you, but Garrett is a dead ringer for Brian in this picture!
Happy Anniversary!

Lauren Billat said...

Love your picture. I had that shirt. Did it come with a little matching "string" to tie around the collar into a bow? ;)

Kay said...

happy anniversary!! that is so cute!! your blog background is great as well!!

Juli said...

Awe! I love this story!

But what about your friend? Did he find love in the stands too? Or, did he never forgive you for ditching him?

...Also questions that plague me...

Mama Badger said...

That's so cute! And are you really a hussy if you married not only the first boy you dated, but the first boy you kissed?

Raven said...

Awwww what a wonderful story! You two make such a cute couple. Happy Anniversary!