Friday, April 24, 2009

You Don't Bring Me Flowers - And I Totally Understand Why!

Get Giddy! It’s Friday!

And it’s time for My Husband Rocks!

I’m telling you this not to brag or compare husbands.
I’m blogging about him to give him a little shout out and the recognition that he so deserves (and didn’t get when I was 17 – read on).

Yes, Brian and I dated in high school……….except we were in different schools and were so busy with our school activities and church that we only saw each other once or twice a week. (probably the saving grace of the relationship)

We DID talk on the phone almost every day – the CORDED pale yellow wall phone with the extra long cord that could be stretched from the kitchen to the dining room for added privacy.

Quite frequently, I would get out of school and go to my car to find a single rose on the windshield.

Somehow, Brian had gotten out of school (probably ditched), hopped in his way cool brown Camaro, purchased a rose, driven the 15 miles to my high school, left the rose on my car and returned home….without so much as glimpse of me.

With or without a note, I always knew it was him. Ahhhh…….true love! And I was really appreciative......I just didn't really show it.

It was so awesome to come out of school and see that flower. I knew i was loved. And I would snatch the rose off the car, look at it, smell it and toss it in the back of the car.

Eventually, Brian would call; “Ummm…..did you get the rose?”
“Oh yeah. I totally forgot. Yeah. Thanks.”

The rose was still in the car or maybe I brought it in and threw it on the kitchen counter. Sometimes, in a particularly thoughtful move, I would actually put it in a drinking glass next to the kitchen sink.

It’s not that I didn’t love him. It’s not that I didn’t appreciate the flowers (okay maybe it was), but I was 17! I was young and stupid and selfish………as opposed to now, when I am old and stupid and selfish.

But he NEVER gave up! Okay, he doesn't bring flowers, but he brings better things – donuts, cokes for McDonalds, candy from Sees. He’s found the way to my heart!

He’s always thinking about me and what HE can do for ME to let me know he loves me.

After all the dating and flowers and gifts, he says he HAD to marry me to get a return on his investment. Maybe he was telling the truth, but I don’t think he got a very good return.

8 comments:

deb@virginia blue said...

What a sweet guy!! I know I've been guilty of the same thing on occasion...sometimes life causes us to forget to show the appreciation someone deserves.

I'm sure he's right about getting a good return, though...you're obviously a wonderful woman!

martyeaster said...

Oh man where is that sweet ride of a camaro. I can imagine 17 year old versions of yourself riding around in that sweet automobile! Man if you have any pics I need to see them. "Return on his investments," classic line.

For FRANKS Sake said...

What a sweetie pie! I think he got good on his return investment too. :)

For FRANKS Sake said...

In case your wondering who the above comment is from, it's me..Valerie. lol Sorry was using an alias. :)

Missty said...

Awww. Sweet story. Its good that we remember how great our guys are.

H.K. said...

I am pretty sure that he got a great return on his investment! (Lol!) What an awesome story on a cool husband. I agree food is so much better than flowers!

Stacy said...

That is a way cool car! Nice post!

Unknown said...

Cute. That's very sweet of him. I'm a bit like you I'm not really a romance + flowers chick. I do like it when he once a year gets them but I put them in a drinking glass too.