Thursday, May 20, 2010

Give Mommy a "TIME OUT!"

Mama's Losin' It

When you are a parent, you have to pick your battles.


Bedtime was my battleground.


Brian travelled a lot or he was at church meetings.
By the end of the day, my patience was thin
and so help me - you were going to bed!


I'm not sure how many times I marched up the stairs to deliver death threats or spankings.
But when I said, "Be quiet and go to bed," I meant it.
If you startied asking for 20 drinks of water, 10 stories, or started jumping on your bed and giggling - one of us was going to die.


When Parker was 3, Garrett 6 and Trammell was 8,
I resorted to switching up the sleeping arrangements
because Garrett was naughty needed more sleep.


Before leaving their rooms one night,
I gently explained threatened that it had been a long, long day,
Mommy was very tired and this was not the night for jacking around.


Everyone must should be quiet and go right to sleep or else!
Death was nigh!


My feet barely hit the bottom of the stairs
when I heard noise.
Was I not clear?
Smoke started coming out of my ears.
Flames were shooting out of my eyes.
My head spun around my neck three times.
And I flew back up the stairs.


I whipped open the door, ready to come unglued on the disobedient child who dared to get out of bed and make noise.


Just as I opened my mouth to unleash my anger,
I saw Trammell sitting on Parker's bed with a book.
"What are you doing?"
I could barely get it out without sounding like a possessed demon from hell.


All innocence and light,
Trammell held the book up and said,
"I'm just reading the scriptures to Parker."


Oops! I needed a time out and perhaps my own lashing!
Have you ever yelled at your kids for something they didn't do?
Apparently, a lot of us supermoms have.


I'm pretty sure this is the only time it happend though!
My little remembrance was inspired by Big Mama Cass.
It's one of the prompts at Writer's Workshop over at Mama Kat's place.


Head on over, take a look around and pick a prompt!

10 comments:

valerie said...

Awww sweet! I would never get after my oldest for not putting my keys away and then remember that it was actually ME who put them in the wrong spot! lol

Stef said...

Okay, so that one was so unexpected, I totally bwahahaha'ed at work.
Always fun to find other LDS bloggers...fun ones. You don't have a stalking...I mean follower button, but I will follow you...oh yes I will.
And bed time is when the gates of hell start opening...Always better when my deaf hubs puts the kids to bed.

KLZ said...

Over from Mama Kat's.

My little guy isn't quite old enough for this yet...but my husband is. And has been on the receiving end of this unfortunately.

KatBouska said...

Hahaha...awwww! See how we just jump to conclusions like that. Such sweet, innocent, babes. ;)

Beth Zimmerman said...

Yep. Been there. Done that. Still wearing the t-shirt some days!

H.K. said...

What sweet kids! I wish I could run into a room and see Moe reading his scriptures! I have yelled and have been wrong so many times at Moe, but usually 9 times out of ten I'm right...at least that's what I keep telling myself. :0)

Big Mama Cass said...

HAHA!! That is soooo adorable!!

Monkey was doing that the other day and I kept going in and saying "stay in bed, it's time for sleep" over and over and over again... and then i start to hear scratching on the door... i go flying in and Daisy the dog was apparently trapped in his room trying to get out... but in my rush to get back in there, i WOKE HIM UP from that which he has finally fallen asleep. Parenting Awesome? Not so much. LOL

Shirley said...

I'm sure I yelled at at least one of my kids for doing something when they really weren't, but I don't remember. I do remember being yelled at several times for doing something that I wasn't....and it has scarred me for life.

Unknown said...

Except for the part about flames coming out of your eyes at bedtime (which I can totally relate to) that is about the cutest story I have heard in a long time.

Claremont First Ward said...

So sweet. One time I went into my daughers room when she was about 3. She had the scriptures open and was "reading" to her baby sister. She said, "Yea. Behold. Listen to your mom and dad".