Wednesday, May 19, 2010

There is HOPE!

I know that there are a lot of people who are discouraged with today's teens.

And maybe rightfully so.
I know that there are a lot of teens out there who are lazy, misdirected, make poor choices, and seem to be going no where.

But, I LOVE teenagers.
In them, I see so much hope.
Hope and excitement for the future.
Sure, there are some bad teens, but there are mostly good, awesome, wonderful teens!
We went to the high school leadership banquet last night.
It was impressive.
What was impressive?

These 65 kids are smart.
They are going places.
They serve in the community - they are required to perform a minimum of 40 hours of service each year.
This is not the only thing they participate in - they play sports, they sing in choirs, they are cheerleaders, they go to church, they hold jobs, they tutor, they mentor, they coach.
They plan all the activities for the school - pep assemblies, spirit weeks, dances, homecoming, prom, lunch time activities.
They support each other. They work together.  They learn and grow together.

But most of all - they love each other.



PS: YES - That is a VELVET sportscoat that Garrett is wearing.  There is hope.  But there's not THAT much hope.

6 comments:

Don and Kelley said...

Love, love, love this post!!!! I feel the same way! I feel like I have been posting about all the great things the teenagers in my life have been doing!!! It is amazing. There is hope. I loved that at senior awards night, if the kids were LDS they not only told what college they were going to, but if they planned to serve a mission. It was so good! Congrats to you guys!

Beth Zimmerman said...

AMEN! Couldn't have said it better myself and I agree with you TOTALLY! The young people who are in and out of my home on a regular basis are an energetic bunch and some times they get into some mischief but they are great kids who truly want to make a positive difference in the world in which they live!

Lewis Family said...

I love teenagers too! They are awesome. And I love Garrett's velvet jacket. : )

Adrienne said...

I love this post and I used to work Retail and I was the manager so I encountered so many Teens good and bad but mostly good!

Angela @ Nine More Months said...

Great post. I have to admit that I am usually very discouraged by teens. And I am only a few years older than them!!! I am glad there are people out there like you, and like many of the awesome teachers I had in school, who have the love and patience to deal with teenagers. :)

H.K. said...

I love the velvet sport coat on Garrett! I used to be mistrustful of teenagers even when I was a teen until I had worked with the YW and started having a teen of my own. I love teenagers, they're fun and energetic and often have a lot more wisdom than adults I know.